Thursday, March 25, 2010

Feast of the Annunciation - "Yes" Day


I think of today, the Feast of the Annunciation as a "Yes" day - a day of renewal and recommitment to God.  The Gospel for the day reminds us of Mary's "Yes", in spite of initially needing to ponder why an angel visited her, and how her "yes" would be fleshed out.  And that "Yes" was absolutely wholehearted and to be carried out for her entire life.  She certainly did not know what her life would bring.  And, I am convinced, that when Jesus was two years old, she needed to help him change his two-year-old "No" which must have been part of his growing self-identity, into the "Yes" he had always said to his Father, his Abba.  And, the more both Mary and Jesus said "Yes", the deeper their faith and trust and hope in God's promise of fidelity grew.

I was thinking today of Sr. Letizia Pappalardo, my friend, who returned to her God on March 6th.  I am sure that when she first said "Yes" to being an RSHM, she did not really know that she would be a teacher, a principal, a person who helped persons with drug addictions to return to productive lives, a provincial, a person who helped to empower trafficked women, etc.  From living with her, I suspect that her initial "yes" evolved from the love of her family, and her personal desire to love and respect all people.  This was, I believe, a great gift that she shared with many as they desired to say their own "Yes" to what they slowly or quickly perceived to be the call of God.  And, in her last days, I know she said "Yes" to returning to the Lord.

I pray that more and more people, especially myself, spend this special day and time renewing their "Yes".  It might have started with becoming a religious, or falling in love with another wonderful person, or spending a single life in service to others.  There are so many calls and so many gifts, and our "Yes" grows as we grow in our gifts and respond to the needs we see around us.  No one ever said the "Yes" is easy to continue after the 'honeymoon' stage.  However, reflecting on my own "Yeses", I am so grateful for the calls to which I have responded, as well as the hope to be faithful to those that come as my life evolves.

P.S. it is a photo of me at the top of this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment